Before we go into the Home Depot’s return policy, let’s check how many of these Home Depot 10 interesting facts you know:
1. As of March 2021 there are more than 2300 Home Depot stores in the US, Canada and Mexico, in addition to worldwide partners.
2. The Home Depot, today the largest home improvement retailer in the US, was founded by Arthur Blank, Ron Brill, Pat Farrah, and Bernard Marcus in 1978.
3. The largest Home Depot stores are in Union, New Jersey and in Anaheim Hills, California.
4. The Home Depot stores are in Huge Warehouses, and maintain a warehouse “look and feel”.
5. Home Depot stores average size is around 105,000 ft2 (9,755 m2)
6. The Home Depot organization operates more than 90 distribution centers located throughout the US, ad serving more than 2,000 “The Home Depot” stores.
7. The Home Depot exclusively sells various brands, as “Chem Dry”, “Behr”, “Homelite”, “Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia”, and others.
8. They also sell their own brands, such as “Husky”, “Workforce”, “Hampton Bay”and others
9. “The Home Depot Foundation”, created in 2002, has contributed more than $200 million in time, work and direct funding money to many causes amongst them – Habitat for Humanity, City of Hope National Medical Center, and others.
10. They supports the U.S. Military community, with discounts and grants to veteran-based organizations.
Home Depot’s Return Policy Review
Home Depot’s Return Policy is amongst the best return policies available.
It is a generous policy with the customer best in mind, simple and straightforward.
What’s the Timeframe for Returning My Purchase to Home Depot?
Most items can be returned to Home Depot within a timeframe of 180 days from the date of purchase, unless otherwise stated.
However, here’s the amazing part:
If the purchase was made with The Home Depot Consumer Credit Card, you can return it in 365 days (!) from the date of purchase, and be fully refunded.
Worthwhile for customers to get a consumer credit card!
How Can I Return My Purchase to Home Depot?
There are 2 ways to return products to Home Depot:
- Return to a physical store. For your convenience, here is the store locator.
- Return online.
If you have a Home Depot account, follow these steps:
- Log in to your account on www.homedepot.com.
- Select the products you want to return from My Orders.
- Click on Return Item.
- If the eligibility criteria are met, you will receive a return Return Mailing Label by email.
- Paste the Return Mailing Label on the product package and drop off in the nearest UPS drop-off location.
- Your refund will be processed once Home Depot receives your return.
Are There Exceptions to the Home Depot’s Return Policy?
Yes, the Home Depot’s return policy does have some exceptions.
While most items can be returned to Home Depot within a timeframe of 180 days, the Home Depot’s return policy has some different return rules for some product groups.
30 Days return policy items:
The items below can be returned within a timeframe of 30 days of the date of purchase:
- Area Rugs
- Consumer Electronics (Television and Air Conditioners)
- Gas-powered equipment
- Commercial Generators
Home Depot’s Appliance Return Policy:
Home appliances, such as Refrigeration appliances, washers, dryers, dishwashers & microwaves should be inspected upon delivery or in-store.
However, in case a defect is discovered, the item can be returned within 48 hours, if damage or defect is reported.
I bought a Plant. Can I Return it to Home Depot?
Yes, you can!
The Home Depot’s return policy for plants and accessories is quite simple.
You get a guarantee on all perennials, shrubs, and trees for 365 days (one whole year!).
Additionally, if you receive plants that are dead or damaged, you can always replace them for free within 3 days from the date of purchase or delivery.
Can I Return Paint to Home Depot?
Home Depot’s return policy includes a special “paint satisfaction guarantee policy”:
You can return your paint with a receipt within a 30 days timeframe (including interior & exterior liquid paint).
The paint will be refunded or replaced, per your choice.
Note that there are some exclusions to this policy and Home Depot might decide not to accept the return in specific cases.
Home Depot Non-Returnable Items
Home Depot’s return policy has a strict rule for non-returnable products.
It is advised to keep a note of this before buying any product.
Items with “non-returnable” stickers mentioned in the product description cannot be returned to the store once they are bought.
Home Depot Return Without Receipt
If you can’t find your receipt, in most cases, Home Depot can trace it within 30 days in the system when a purchase is made using a credit card or a check.
In case of purchases made via The Home Depot Consumer Credit Card, it may be traced in the system within 365 days of the date of purchase.
For a full refund, items must be returned in a new condition with all components.
Home Depot’s Refund Policy
The Home Depot’s return policy enables you to get a refund against a purchase proof.
You can also exchange the goods, or be credited to your account, or be refunded via The Home Depot store credit:
All per your choice.
Refunds will be issued to the original way of payment unless noted differently in the Home Depot’s return policy exceptions.
According to Home Depot’s return policy, returns for purchases made via gift card/Store Credit will be refunded as a Store Credit.
To conclude, it’s clear that Home Depot cares for customers’ satisfaction.
There are actually not may of stores offering a 365 return option for store cards holders, and 180 days for other customers, and in this sense we believe that Home Depot’s return policy is amongst the best policy’s out there.
Read about Best Buy return policy Walmart return policy Gamestop return policy